Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Facebook Social Plugin


This plug-in is used to get you to log in to your Facebook account if you are requesting information from another site.The theory here is that you are not likely to be logged in and it forces you to do so if you want to access the information.

If this is a fake and you do sign into your Facebook account your search may be redirected using the anonym.to service. (see below)

In this case it would also not be too difficult to steal your password. I recommend that you change it if you see the logon below and you suspect that the prompt is a fake:

Is this a real log-in or a fake? When I saw it logging in took me to antonym.to
My advice would be to just move on an forget the information that you are trying to find. If the person who is providing this information has to stoop to these sort of techniques to get your Facebook information then you are better off finding the information elsewhere.
However, if you do have a Facebook account and you still would like to see the information, DO NOT LOG-IN using this pop-up. Instead, close it - open up another browser tab and sign in to your Facebook account from there - then access the information the way you did before as now that you are signed in to Facebook you should not get the pop-up getting you to sign-in and possibly steal your information. If you ARE SIGNED-IN to Facebook and you still see the Facebook Social Plugin dialog, then you KNOW that it is a fake.

The anonym.to service:

While I was waiting I turned off my computer as I did not know what was going on.

No comments: